Saturday, October 23, 2010

Why I love the druid even more

Before I get into anything, somebody posted a script on our forums to add and remove tool tips. I BELIEVE know he got this from the WoW forums, but I'm not 100% sure and will definitely ask next time I see him so I can give credit for the quote.
If you are like me and your game freezes solid when somebody either makes a food table, a fish feast, or what ever else, this is a sure fire way to get you past that.
Granted when you have the tool tips off, if something is linked your not going to be able to see it (cool tip here... don't be like me... have them turned on when loot is handed out during raids >.>)
Once again copied verbatim from our guild forums and source will be linked just as soon as I find out who called it.. (*** UPDATE*** I found the source here... BIG kudos to Deyneth from Wyrmrest Accord)

-Turn Off Tooltips
/script GameTooltip.Temphide = function() GameTooltip:Hide() end; GameTooltip:SetScript("OnShow", GameTooltip.Temphide);


-Turn On Tooltips

/script GameTooltip:SetScript("OnShow", GameTooltip.Show);

Anyways, tonight was my first raid since the patch, and thanks to all the changes, its fun again. Its no longer a "whack-a-mole" game as a lot of people have put it, because it has started to mirror the healing roots from back in the day. It took me a good part of the night to get out of old "blanket the raid" play style and try to find my new flow.


Here are some things that I may be doing wrong, but helped the situation.
My guild is really notorious about killing things in a different way, which is not always a bad thing, but it leads to some really interesting decisions. Alot of the stuff that I did / came up with was pretty much all on a spur of the moment trial and error.


Changing Lifebloom targets as the tanks switched.


~The way to tell who the main tank is in our raid, is to see who is taking the most damage. It could switch every 5 seconds, or it could switch every minute. Instead of just keeping Lifebloom on one target for the whole the fight, I would change targets depending on who's getting hurt the most.


Casting Rejuv then do nothing to the tank until he was hurt pretty bad then pop Swiftmend / efflorescence.


~ One of our tanks, is a great player, but he hasn't played the game since before the patch came out and we started out on blood princes. With that said, his agro-holding abilities, were kind of low... which is ok, because of the situation. For most of the time there, it was:
*tank pulls
*tank holds 2 of the bosses and starts taking damage
*druid or pali heals
*said druid or pali is greeted by one of the bosses and gets face nom'd off.


The way I fixed it, was to hold off on healing as much as possible for the first 30 seconds or so, and only heal when he was about to die. This seemed to help balance out healing agro between 3 healers.


Casting all hots and then spamming Regrowth on Dreamwalker.


~This one really felt like it was me getting the best bang for the buck. My raid leader loves to have me take all the portals, so it seems that for the 12 - 15 seconds between portals, I'm really getting more heals off than with nourish.
Now with mastery, it seems that when all the HoTs are on the boss, I should be getting more hps with Nourish, but for some reason spamming regrowth was upping the numbers a bit.

Over all, I feel like I lucked out and druid healing has gotten closer to my heal style, and my effective healing has quite frankly doubled.
I wrote this while it was very late for me. My vision was getting progressively blurred as I went on, and you are probably reading this for the second time because I really meant to hit save instead of publish last night. With that said, if this is hard to follow, I promise to write when I am more awake :3

No comments:

Post a Comment